Catching Up...

Wow I didn't think I would ever get back to blogging, but I forced myself to sit down and post the pictures I had from the end of last year.
So if anyone wants to see I have back posts from Halloween thru Christmas now. :)

Now onto 2011!

Monday, August 18, 2008

What to do?

Well if you don't wanna hear me whine, you might wanna skip this post. But I need someone to talk to or vent to but I don't so I just decided to let it out in a post.....

So lately I have been feeling a little depressed....ok a lot depressed. It started a little while ago when I found out that someone was opening a photo studio here in Blackfoot. I’m not depressed that they opened it - I am depressed because I had an opportunity to buy the building where Moose Hotdogs was and put a studio there and rent out the half of the building which would almost pay for the monthly payments. Aaron bugged me about it for a few weeks and we even took a look at the building and were so close to doing it - But you see many of you might not know this about me but - I have a very low self-esteem, I don't have confidence in myself. I was so afraid that I decided just to keep my little photo business small and low-key. I was fine with it because I was still pretty busy without the big business hassle. So now that I see people - around my age - doing my dream, it got me a little depressed.

And my brother Tim pointed out to me that tons of people are starting to do their own home photography business like I have been doing for years. And I just started to notice that. It’s like everyone and their dog is starting their own photography business….. This means there is less of a need for me! I didn’t know that a photography business what that easy to start! But I guess it is since everyone is doing it!

So that was the starter of my little depression spiral...

Than I had a couple that called me to do their wedding...almost a month ago - they asked me to send a price list and they were going to let me know if they wanted to book me. I told them I needed some notice and a down payment (since I have been burned a lot with out down payments - I’m to darn nice) in order to hold the date....well their friend who gave them my number told me that they had called it off so I didn't worry about calling them back. Well I guess the wedding within a week was called back on and the guy called me Wen. and asked if I was still photographing their wedding......well since I never got a down payment and I never got a definite yes, I booked the date for someone else. Yeah he wasn't too happy about that. And he let me know........BOY did he let me know!!! What was I to do - I never got a definite yes or down payment! So after he hung up on me - but not before he threatened me that he was going to let everyone know what I did to him!

Aaron's right I am not a business person at all - I take things so personal.

Than I did two baby sessions last week that I have been trying to edit for a week and I spend hours and hours editing - that's the part no one sees how much work this hobby can be - on average you can spend up to 8 hours editing one session, and a wedding takes twice as much, but maybe it's just me because I like things perfect (only photography work - my house it a disaster area!) Anyways Austin has been so whinny lately that I haven't been able to get things done during the day and when Aaron gets home at night he is so worn out from work he pretty much eats and goes to sleep.... So I spend many nights working on my photos until 4 in the morning. It really drains you but what can I do. I hate asking people to watch my kid, I mean I don't have a real job and I am a stay at home mom....I should be able to handle this - RIGHT? I don’t' know what I'd do without my in-laws. Danee and Jan are so wonderful they help out a lot with Austin and I appreciate it so much!

It just makes me more depressed that I can’t handle my life right now. My house has been a complete disaster for the past month, I get so grouchy with Austin, Aaron seems like he can’t stand to be around me, I can’t stand to be around myself right now!

But I am just thinking why am I doing this....for something I used to totally love and have a passion for photography- I am now starting to struggle with it. It's like Heavenly Father is trying to tell me something! Maybe this isn't what I am supposed to do.... Something that you love this much, shouldn't make you this depressed should it?

So this is what I am struggling with.

And most of you know that while I was photographing a senior session Friday night my camera stopped working. So I feel like that is another mark against my photography. Frustration is all I feel right now.

Well I feel a little better now that I vented, but I haven’t come to a decision yet. I feel like I am at a crossroad right now. Do I push my photography? Do I go back to school for something more “practical”? Do I get a “real job”? Do I really want to put my kid in daycare?

7 comments:

The Hunters said...

Misty, I'm so sorry that you are having such a hard time right now. I go through that sometimes. Just always remember that I'm here for you always. I hope that things get better for you soon.

Unknown said...

Misty, I can understand your frustrations. I just want you to know that I would come over any day and sit with Austin so you could get work done. Hallie starts pre-school and for two hours twice a week I'll be doing nothing in town waiting for her.I would be happy to help you out a little.I am serious and hope you take me up on my offer. By the way nice pic of us ha ha!!!

Shelley Patterson said...

Misty, that really sucks. I totally understand the frustration. There are days that I feel the same way. I had a really hard time leaving Hunter at home when I had to work, and I am so happy that I don't have to anymore. But I understand needing a little break once in a while.

Jenn & Kiddos said...

All right Misty- let's take a breath. First of all- you are so talented. Second- you are totally being a business person if you demand a down payment- THAT IS BUSINESS. It is there fault if they didn't follow through. He is just blaming you- because it makes him look bad. They are the ones who were being flaky. Third- running a business out of your home is sooooo smart. Once you start getting into a rental situation it is crazy. It doesn't matter how many home businesses there are- you just keep building your business and do it on your own time. That's the beauty of having it at home- you aren't chained to that rent payment if you need vacation, or a break or whatever. Fourth- I have always learned to follow my gut. If for some reason you are holding back on taking the next big step- then don't do it. But if you really want to do it- go for it.

Life always has it's ups and downs. Even if you had your own "rental" studio- every stress you are having would still be there- you would just have additional bills on top of that to worry about. I would stick with what you love- you already have a degree, a clientele, and are great at what you do. I know tons of totally successful people who work from home. In fact my mom gets her hair done by a lady who has built this amazing business in her basement. She does Marie Osmonds hair and gets to travel with her at what not. But she still does all the old ladies, and her neighborhood gals. Her bread and butter if you will. Anyhoo- hang in there. Life is full of ups and downs- especially in business and as a mom. But never give up what you love.

Jenn

Micah and Jen said...

Vent away....it feels good to get it out there! And, I 100% understand where you are coming from! first off--a business studio would be a pain and you would end up putting Austin in daycare--which I know you don't want. You are an amazing photographer! You have soooo much talent and NO, i don't think people have a CLUE how much time is spent on their photos AFTER you take them! And that guy....well, that's just business and it's HIS fault for NOT following through...not yours! You're such a sweetheart and again, amazing at what you do! And you don't have to worry about me as any competition....I mostly just do my family and freebies on the side so I can have a different family to post besides my own! :) I too love photography but now is not the time in my life for a big or small for that matter, business venture....but please know I am here for you if you ever need a second person to help you out! I have learned oodles from you already! :) Keep your chin up and remember how very talented you are and even if you do feel crabby and mean to your hubby and baby (who doesn't every now and then!) remember that they love you and are always going to be there for you!! HUGS! :) :) :)

Micah and Jen said...

So I just drove past your house on my way home from getting labs done & saw your super cute chair outside....I LOVE IT! I was wondering if I could use it for my babys' newborn shoot.....it is seriously awesome and I already have super cute red headbands I could use with it. Anyhow, great job on the chair! :)

The WIlloughby Family said...

It is funny how one stupid situation can totally throw you can a loop!!! I think you are WONDERFUL!!!! I think you are so fun and so good at what you do!!! I think you are a great mommy too and no matter what Austin loves you always and I think that is the funnest thing about being a mommy even when you have mean men calling you and ripping you a new one. I am sure Aaron could do some damage his way so he better watch it!! We love you!