Catching Up...

Wow I didn't think I would ever get back to blogging, but I forced myself to sit down and post the pictures I had from the end of last year.
So if anyone wants to see I have back posts from Halloween thru Christmas now. :)

Now onto 2011!

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Weighing In...

My little Austin isn’t so little anymore.

He weighed in at a whopping 22 lbs. 31 ½ inches.

He is becoming my big boy now. We took away his pacifier and bottles yesterday….and he didn’t like that very much. With Austin being my first child, I am so new at this transition stuff. Luckily I have friends who have been there. It’s been nice to talk to Jenny a lot about it. Thanks Jenny. And after the fit he through this afternoon I am not sure if I can cut him off cold turkey from, formula, binkies, and bottles all at one time. So for those experienced mother’s out there what do you suggest. What’s the best way to transition from formula to cow milk? Did you give your kid’s bottles after they turned 1? And what did you start to feed them at the age of 1? My doctor said to stop formula, bottles, and baby food? I want him to be healthy - unlike mom and dad! :) I am just not sure how to do it.
Yesterday he was ok but today he cried all day until I finally made him a half a bottle of formula, he wouldn't drink it unless I held him....he has never acted like this and I am going crazy. And another thing he is so whinny at home. He throws fits and cries constantly....but once we leave the house he is happy as can be. I really think he hates being home and it's made me hate to be home because all he does is cry. I don't get it?

4 comments:

Jenn & Kiddos said...

They learn so young what will push your buttons and how to get what they want. Just go cold turkey. It will suck for about two weeks- but it will be worth it!! Plus it will teach him that crying won't get him his way. Yeah- I learned the hard way. Start feeding him soft food that you are already eating. Especially veggies and protein.

Anonymous said...

I did cold turkey -- But not all of them. I did the bottle at about 1 and the pacifier about 16 months. The bottle was easy-- the pacifier not so easy but we got threw it. I cut off the tip of the pacifier which was good she hated it and would not even try it again. I wanted her to take it one day and she threw it so there is an idea for you!

Micah and Jen said...

I never did the binkie thing (not that I didn't want too....my kids are stinkers) so I have no help on that one. I also nursed all my boys....and none took the bottle....so I just transistioned to a sippy cup....but it takes time. Cold turkey is hard for anyone, Gabe had to do it when I got pregnant with the twins and he wouldn't look at me for a week! As far as the cow milk/formula, I have had friends that make sure it's the same temperature and that you cuddle alot more so they can get use to it....but stick with the sippies. I found that if they went to the store and picked out a cute sippie that they loved then they were more apt to use it....even 1 year olds know what thye like! ;) Good luck and come on down for a playdate anytime just to get that little guy out of the house! :)

Unknown said...

Both of my kiddos were off the bottle before they turned 1. I just started giving them formula or cow milk (with dinner) in a sippy cup at about 10.5 months or so. I had quit letting them have "in between meal bottles" by about 9 months - instead giving them cups of formula and a healthy snack. The binkies were cut out at about 16-18 months. We started making them leave it in their bed and if they wanted it, then it meant bed time (good deterrent) and then one night it was just gone and they were okay - both of them. Kade refused baby food really early so we were feeding him whatever I made for dinner and just cutting it really small at like 9 months. Keylie was a pasta monster. Gabe and I didn't eat all that well until Keylie couldn't do baby food anymore and then I got really serious about cooking and making sure things were balanced. Her health improved our health. Of course there were those nights that I didn't want to cook so we would keep a few toddler meals on hand so that she was still getting her nutrition even if we weren't. Kaden has always eaten just about anything as long as it was in small enough pieces. You will just need to experiment and see what Austin likes and let him feed himself too - encourage the use of a spoon though. He won't use it much, but start right now and he will learn. Good luck!