Catching Up...

Wow I didn't think I would ever get back to blogging, but I forced myself to sit down and post the pictures I had from the end of last year.
So if anyone wants to see I have back posts from Halloween thru Christmas now. :)

Now onto 2011!

Saturday, January 24, 2009

New Orleans to New York City

We are back from our latest trip. This wasn’t a planned vacation. Aaron’s mom called us about 4 days before and said they had decided to go to the fence convention in New Orleans and than they were going to stop in NYC for a couple of days – and they invited Aaron and me to tag along. Of course I was all for it, NYC is one of my favorite places! But the downside was that I would have to leave Austin home for almost 10 days…I’ve never been away from him longer than 2 days! It was so hard. I cried when we left him. Sharon and Jenny were wonderful enough to take turns watching him for us. We really appreciate them…it’s nice to know you have friends that ask to take care of your kid.
We left Tues. (Jan 13) and got back late Thurs. It was a fun trip; Aaron’s parents are so fun to travel with. Here is a little summary and photos of the trip….
NEW ORLEANS
New Orleans is different from any place I have gone to on vacation. You can see than Hurricane Katrina really hurt this city. There were so many abandoned buildings, some were still boarded up. It’s weird because one street will be prosperous and than you walk down the next street and it looks like a ghost town. We took a city tour and they showed us the remains of some neighborhoods where the water washed them away, it was sad. All that was left was the front steps of some houses. The thing I didn’t get was that there were some big band new houses (build by or contracted out by Brad Pitt) that were build right in the same spots….I don’t get it – Nature will always win out. It will happen again.
New Orleans had some very neat old buildings; I didn’t know that it is one of the oldest cities in America. I just wanted to go around photographing all the neat buildings. I did post some pics on my photography blog if you’d like to see them. Click here
Aaron and I waiting for the tour bus

Aaron with the golf clubs Jan won at the fence convention

Me and all the beads Aaron gave to me

Bourbon Street

There were all these neat murals all around the city

Jan and her fav. machine

This it was a lot of the houses looked like where Katrena hit
(some only had front steps left, no house)


NEW YORK
This was my third trip to New York, and I still fall in love with the city every time I go! It just amazes me. It's like a little piece of each culture in the work all crammed into one city! There is so much to see and do. I think I love it so much because there is so much to photograph! I also posted some pictures on my photo blog. Click Here.
I love the architecture! It just keeps me in awe! I think everyone needs to experience New York at least once in their life....Jan finally got Dan to go. He had been dragging his feet about a trip to NY ever since I have known him. It's just a city full of such energy and history. You've gotta love it. Where else can you have Italy and China a street away??
Besides the architecture and scale of the city my next favorite thing about New York is Broadway! The plays are wonderful. This trip Jan took us to Jersey Boys....such a good play! I love it. Here are some photos of us enjoying NY!
Eating at Serendipity
Jan purse shopping



Dan & Jan on top of the Empire State Building

Aaron and I on top of the Empire State Building

Aaron looks evil in this picture.

Aaron looking at the "Tiles for America"
It was tiles from children around America in honor of 9-11

Getting ready to go skating

Skating in Central Park


Hard Rock Cafe

Aaron and Dan sick of purse shopping - and walking

The Temple...different from all the other temples
I LOVE NY
Here is a list of the things I think you must do if you go to NY:
Top Ten Things you must do in New York

1- See Time Square
2- Eat at Serendipity
3- See a Broadway Play
4- Walk around Central Park
5- Go Purse shopping in China Town
6- Visit the top of the Empire State Building
7- Walk the Brooklyn Bridge (I’ve only made it half way)
8- Eat at Carnage Deli
9- Do a City Tour (on the top of the Bus)
10- Ride the Subway

5 comments:

Micah and Jen said...

What a super fun trip! I LOVE NYC! Soooo much fun! Glad you had a great time and made it back to your little man okay! :)

Jenn & Kiddos said...

Wow! You are too spoiled sista!! That looks like a ton of fun! I heard about all the purses...that makes me laugh to see Aar and Dan hauling them all around. Classic Jan!! Glad you guys had a fun time!!

The WIlloughby Family said...

WOW!! I would give anything to leave my kids for 10 days...j/k! No really I bet it was SO much fun. And I bet Austin missed his mommy and daddy like crazy!! You are an amazing photographer, I love the pics!!

Unknown said...

Looks like you all had an amazing time! I love all your pictures - I really like the one of Aaron looking at the tiles. I can almost feel his and your emotion from the photo. I bet Austin was so happy to have Mom and Dad back, but I would have taken the opportunity and left my kids too for that experience. I can't wait to see a Broadway Play - someday!

The Brendles said...

So?!? How did the purse shopping go?? I should have gave ya some money to get me one, since I will probably never go to New York, LUCKY GIRL!!!